Substances & Homeopatic Remedies

Trachinus draco

Requests: If you need specific information on this remedy - e.g. a proving or a case info on toxicology or whatsoever, please post a message in the Request area so that all users may contribute.

Danger and treatment
The greater weever is a dangerous fish due to its very toxic poison which is injected by the spine on the operculum and the spines of the first dorsal fin. The sting produces very intense pain followed by numbness and swelling around the sting. Other symptoms are often present including breathing difficulties, sweating, troubled sight, dizzyness, paralysis of the limb concerned or convulsions.
In the case of a sting: help the person to get out of the sea, lay them down placing the affected limb in a raised position and heat the wound with an incandescent cigarette (without burning the person) as the poison is destroyed by heat. Another solution is to soak the limb in water which is as hot as possible containing a little Dakin antiseptic or mild bleach solution for twenty minutes. If the pain is too intense take the person to a medical centre.
It should be noted that the poison remains dangerous even when the fish is dead.

Studies have been carried out since 1962 on the structure and function of the venom glands on all members of the weever fish family. These scientists have found the same structures. Venom studies have also confirmed the previous work, only deferring in the techniques and use of different test animals.

The first time weever fish anti-venom was produced in sufficient quantities for general use, was in 1968. Since this time anti-venom has been manufactured in the Institute for the Control and Research of Immuno-biological substances, by Dr.Dubravka Matic-Piantanida. The use of such an anti-venom is confined to those patients who have reacted unfavourably to the normal treatment of bathing the wound in hot water.